Thursday, May 29, 2008

"abc+2fgh-af^2-bg^2-ch^2=0"

shocked?! a class 12 or 11 student would never be, as he/she knows these are the condtions related to equation of conics.
Before any one can jump out at any conclusion,I would love to tell that Iam not here to create mess related to MATHS .This equation actually reminds me of My life 's first interview I faced for B.tech entry.I reiterate ,life is an amazing thing which gives an opportunityto remind all ones past doing.Abhi,I just thought Many things related to last day,it reminded me of my almost First day of college ie interview day.This equation really played a significant role for my journey till here.One can expect the bombardment of Physics,chemistry,Maths question on interview table which is usually shared by 5 candidates.It is just a viva-voce and ur sitting arrangement, subject asked etc entirely depends on luck.I was asked MATHS,previous Batch was asked physics.My alloted roll no was 25055 and i was placed in the mid of 5 guys.It was apanel of more than 7 persons who were actually proffesors of different stream.I felt like chicken ready to be slaughtered in butcher's shop!.
First question was really a rhetorical one"do parallel lines intersect"
damn ,crazy! answer should have been "no".
First person gave "NO"
proffesers laughed profoundly at him.
I was shocked as i thought he was right.I really didnt understand the subject of homour there.
They kept on laughing,laughingand laughing,Professor abraheem seemed to be their leader, whom i recognized later as the HOD of my own department.

I was bambozzled while designing my reply,when my turn came I said " yes,they do, at infinity"
ohhgod! sky was the limit of laughing thereafter.They laughed profusely with double intensity!I tried to join the party but refrained myself from doing so thinking of some untoward happening.
same question was circulated for the whole group.
answer was" yes or no".but why laugh at both replies ,simply rhetorical na!
I was amazed but relaxed as such was the condition with everyone.A.C chillness helped us in relaxing us a bit more.Second question was really a respectable one as they asked" the condition for conics to be a pair of parellel lines"
I was joyous and elated, I replied with confidence and no stutter
"abc +2fgh -af^2-bg^2-ch^2=0" I was so excited that I even referred conditions for ellipse,parabola and hyperbola.
Fortunately,no body from my group answered this question,which i thought was deciding factor for my selection (though waiting list no61,) .Actually it is simply a relative performance rather than absolute one which matters in viva-voce or interview of such type.
thanks to my brother! who had actually glued charts at every corners of my room.Written on it were formulae one shud remeber for cracking competetion exams.I simply cant forget conics formulae,atomic table ,trignometrical formulaes for rest of my life!.

3 comments:

AG said...

"abc +2fgh -af^2-bg^2-ch^2=0"

Dear BITS, this equation is incomplete unless u mention that a,b,c,f,g,h>0; always respect mathematics ;)

one thing more, maths is never abt formulas, it all abt intuition and smartness. And thatswhy i just love it...

Not unlike CHEMISTRY...can anyone teach me stoichiometry??
and the biggest googly...do you knw there is only one functional grp difference b/t testosterone (male's reproductive hormone) and estrogen (the female one)...males have alcohol while females have acid (so true na !!)
see what can one functional grp do ;)

Keep blogging
AG

medo said...

It is not a conic section function

it is a condition that show if the

function is a two straigt lines-

function

if :

abc+2fgh-af^2-bg^2-ch^2=0

the function is two straight lines

function

with my best wishes,

Unknown said...

Can any1 here tell me from where
Δ =abc +2fgh – af2 – bg2 – ch2
Is derived ?